Wednesday 29 May 2013

A Dull Poem


There is the crowd and here is me,
In an attempt to find unity --
I bridge the gap with eager steps,
Jostling for a place in the mesh.

It's hard to breathe.
It's hard to see.
I feel so tiny in this throng of human bees.
Buzzing and moving, to gather, to store,
An array of minds all synced to a single core.

I met Jack, on his way from work,
He’s a party loving and hardworking clerk,
He hates to be dull, and thus makes sure --
Like everybody, to follow the new haute couture.
His wife is happy, his second car works fine,
His boss laughs at his jokes and in fine hotels he loves to dine,
He hoped I was good, but didn’t ask for more,
His chaps were waiting with beers and cricket scores.



As Jack waved me bye, vanishing in the swarm,
Leaving me thinking, for a moment and few,

As I stood aside, watching the crowd pass by,
I wondered why Jack was called dull,
--- and not me nor you.

2 comments: