Thursday 9 August 2012

My Glasgow Smile



They said it would be easy,
As easy as breathing‘s supposed to be,
Stretching a few muscles, to banish all pains,
A dose for a day, a few more to keep sane.
For Mother declared she was worried ,
And it displeased Father to see me lost;
My friends lovingly mobbed around me,
And over charred emotions, my smile embossed.

And I smiled as life rolled on,
I smiled at its mandates and jargons,
I smiled for the days to end,
I smiled for it is easy to pretend.
And I thought --
May be shadows do lighten the dark.
And bullets fly, for they love the beating heart.

But I feel them now, closing in,
See their fingers and arms stretched,
The corners of my mouth twitch uncomfortably,
And my blood boils for selfish carnage.
Some hold my lips,
Some pull my chin,
They spread my mouth
To a hideous grin.
My eyes pop out,
Something quietly dies,
I face the world,
With my Glasgow smile.



1 comment: